Friday, January 31, 2014

MamaMare: A Warning

I hesitated to write this blog post, worried it would make me look like a terrible parent. But, the thought of this happening to someone else has pushed me past my concern for myself. 
We first decorated the nursery when I was pregnant.  In fact, I did a nursery tour which you can see here
It is a simple room, filled with love, including some framed photos for T to look at above his crib.  They have hung on the wall for three years now. 
Until yesterday. 
Everything was completely fine yesterday. I put T down for his afternoon nap like always.  He sounded like he always does, playing and talking to himself before drifting off to sleep.  
When I went into the nursery to wake him, I was shocked at what I found.  Blood was surrounding him in the crib sheet.  Not an insane amount, but enough to scare me. I mean, come on. Who expects to see blood in their toddler's bed?  Then I noticed our photo on top of him. I looked up to see that he had managed to reach high about his bed and pull the frame off the wall.  He may have even had to jump up to grab it. Panic set in as I frantically searched for broken glass.
He was still sleeping when I saw glass poking out from under him.  Still in one piece.  I woke him up instantly and continually checked to see where he was bleeding.  Miraculously the glass was all in tact and he only had a few small cuts.  How that is possible is beyond me.  He could have been seriously injured and lost a lot more blood.  It obviously didn't even hurt him too badly because he didn't make a sound.  There were just little nicks on one hand and then a cut deep enough on his other hand to need a band-aid. 
That's it. 
When I think of what could have happened, well...
I wanted to share this story so that you take a good look at what your kids can get in to.  Whether it's a photo frame or something else.  Try really hard to consider if they could hurt themselves. 
Needless to say all those photos have come off the wall.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Mare, I feel your panic. When my son was about 2 years old, cooking was a fun activity that we did together. One night (which just so happened to be our wedding anniversary) we were making pasta and he accidentally pulled the pot of pasta sauce off the stove. Even though I was standing right beside him, I was unable to prevent that pot from spilling down the front of him. I scooped him up and put him under the shower as quickly as I could, but he still ended up with second and third degree burns on his arm. To this day, he still has some small scars on his arm, but it could have been so much worse. I'm so glad that Thomas is okay. You are very brave for putting your story out there so others can be forewarned. Melissa (iluvfaces1042)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boys are now 11.5 and 6 and well.... I hate to tell you but get ready girl! lots more of this heading your way if your boy is as active as mine! we have a min. of 1 trip to the ER every year for each boy. Some of them could have been avoided....with more attention or planning on my part. But ya know what Parenting does not come with a handbook, live, learn and share your experiences with other moms :) Remember that scrapped knees, broken bones, stitches used to be a right of childhood. Don't allow this to influence how much you hover over Thomas, Kids can't fly if the don't jump off a cliff or two (some even need a push from time to time LOL) Know you are doing a great job and the best job you can !! Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so scary! My kids are a little older now but I made a point of going through my childproofing every 6 months when they were younger to see if there was anything I could change or modify. It was a good opportunity for me to see what different things they were getting into and it allowed me to make changes in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the wise moms above. You are a great mother and Jeremy is a wonderful dad. Unfortunately as parents we can't foresee everything our children will endure. We always want to prevent any kind of hurt, even into adulthood and it hurts us when an accident occurs. That's wonderful our little guy wasn't hurt worse. No doubt he would have yelled had he been. It was good of you to share your experience to warn someone else. Love, Mum xx

    ReplyDelete

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme